Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Firewall Upgrade to pfSense 2.0 RC3 from pfSense 2.0 RC1

This morning I downloaded the latest (2.0 RC3) full upgrade of pfSense for my home firewall.  I was previously running pfSense 2.0 RC1.  I’ve been using pfSense since it was in alpha, and have always found it to be extremely stable.

Step 1: Backup your current pfSense configuration, just to be safe.

Step 2: Download the full upgrade for your architecture(i386 for me – I run pfSense on an old laptop for power savings)

image

Step 3: Upload the firmware via the pfSense web interface ( System >> Firmware ) & click ‘Upgrade firmware’

image

Step 4: Wait for the upgrade to complete.  I navigated to the home page of the web interface for pfSense during the upgrade and found this nifty ‘upgrade is currently in progress’ screen.  The speakers on the old laptop still work, and a lovely series of beeps and tweets played once the firewall completed its upgrade and boot sequence.

image

Step 5: Logon to pfSense web interface, verify new version, and confirm firewall functionality.

image

All done!

1 comment:

Plymouth Oven Repair said...

This is a greaat blog